Why We Have to Set the World on Fire

I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! Luke 12:49 What does it mean to set the world on fire for Jesus? Does it mean that the whole world knows him? Maybe it means that the whole world loves him, or that the whole world follows him.Continue reading “Why We Have to Set the World on Fire”

How We Participate in Pentecost

They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:3-4 I sometimes think about getting a small, black-line minimalist tattoo of a flame.Continue reading “How We Participate in Pentecost”

How I Overcame Spiritual Comparison

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10 What is Spiritual Comparison?I think we all struggle with comparison to some degree. I think everyoneContinue reading “How I Overcame Spiritual Comparison”

My Second Home, The Newman Center

The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:25 The Warmest WelcomeGoing to the Newman Center is like going back inside your warm house after playing in the snow. Playing outside is niceContinue reading “My Second Home, The Newman Center”

I Love You

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. John 3:16 Viewing Valentine’s DayWhat do you think of when you think of Valentine’s Day? Does it conjure images of red roses, chocolate-covered strawberries, chalky conversation hearts, orContinue reading “I Love You”

What is Lectio Divina?

If you enjoy reading scripture, or if you’re looking for a place to start, or if you’re trying to find a new way to pray, or if you want to hear the Lord speak to you, I highly recommend Lectio Divina. Meaning “Divine Reading,” Lectio Divina involves praying with scripture in a contemplative way to allow God to speak to you in a personal way.

Surrender: A Reflection on My SLS 20 Experience

Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they may also be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. John 17:24 Made for MissionIn this Bible verse, Jesus prays that we can be with Him.Continue reading “Surrender: A Reflection on My SLS 20 Experience”

Made for Mission

Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Matthew 28:19-20 Make Disciples of All NationsThe last verses of the Gospel of Matthew are referred to as the GreatContinue reading “Made for Mission”